Monday, May 9, 2016

Zoe's Motobecane - beginnings

Another bike project started.




Zoe has had this bike since she was 19. It's an early 1970s Motobecane Mirage. Made in France. It's been a dust collector since I've known her. Zoe had a chance to ride the Nishiki that I built for Katie and she loved it. Now to upgrade the Motobecane like I did to Katie's bike.




The first step is taking it apart. A quick clean on the frame. I can't get the right side bottom bracket bearing cup off so it will have to go to the bike shop. These are the parts I can reuse. The rack was last seen on the Trek that William rode on last year's Seattle to Portland. All else will be new. It will be a little different challenge since the French used different thread and tube diameter standards but there are solutions. It should be a very nice riding frame.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I am restoring, what I believe to be a 69 Motobecane Mirage fir my son. I am only using the original frame, fork, ahead set and bottom bracket...all other component I sourced from newer Japanese product lines.

    The problem I am facing is the cable routing for the front derailers. Nether the cables or derailer were installed when I received the frame and I just can not figure out how to route this cable, where the housing should stop it start?

    ReplyDelete